Saturday, October 20, 2007

Yellow Whisper Blues




We raked the yard today. We didn't really need to, in fact by all logical accounts it was an exercise in futility, meant only to keep Eve busy and out of people's hair. But I joined in. I'm pretty sure my family here thinks I'm crazy for volunteering to rake leaves in the middle of fall when several hours later there are just as many leaves on the ground and you can't tell you even bothered save for the large pile of leaves in the corner of the yard. But I derive a lot of pleasure from it. Standing there under the blue and white sky in the shadow of trees that make dark veins above me and rain down showers of yellow leaves every time the wind comes up. The leaves dance snow-like through the air, whispering as they come to rest on the grass you've just uncovered. Brushing past hair and cheek like the sky is sending kisses. I love it.

No comments: