Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Central Park Is A Pace Apart

I walked from the 33rd Street PATH Train station to Central Park today. Once I got there it was really quite relaxing, but the way there and back...
New Yorkers are big fans of the "If you see an opening, take it" mentality, whether or not they actually fit in the opening. The "Stratford Weave" has really saved my shoulders (Thank you Chele!).
Cigarette ash swirls in the spaces between people stopped at traffic signals. No one else seems to notice as they look for gaps between the cars in oncoming traffic. It looks like snow, already dirty before ever touching the ground.

A girl sitting on the monument to all Seafaring someones or other.





A View of midtown from The eastern end of Central Park.







Seabou. A 33 year old bike-taxi "driver" from West Africa. He's apparently here on a one year work permit or something. I He spoke somewhat fragmented English with a heavy accent, but he was pretty friendly and was able to give me directions.

The Carousel in Central Park. A ride is only $1.50! And it's an antique. All carved and painted by hand and everything...

A chess game going on at the House of Chess and Checkers. I stopped here to write some post cards and have a arrange to meet my cousin Elizabeth! for lunch tomorrow in Union Square at a patisserie.

No comments: