Friday, August 31, 2007

A Little Bite of a Big Apple

So I made it into New York today. Dale showed me around a little. I saw the giant twin tower crater and the financial district. And we walked to Time Square. The whole city is lit up to the point you can only tell it's night because the colors are more vibrant. This place is so crowded. So full of people living and jostling, competing over everything. Jobs. Food. Parking. Air. It's amazing. And all in this setting that's layers upon layers of history. You have brand new laid over centuries old. Bricks and glass and metal and grime. It's amazing. Fascinating. I want to see more. I open my eyes wide to take in more than once. I'm sure I look like a bumpkin, but what do they know? These people that live their lives in this city and never really see it as they dodge traffic and talk on cell phones and sip coffee in their haste to get ahead to earn more to spend on drinks every saturday night... They don't see the world as I see it. You can see the people who do. The ones standing still, like me. Not necessarily the tourists with the cameras and the shopping bags from Century 21 and Macy's. Not them. The other ones. The ones that stand out because they're clear in a blur of rushing pushing people. They're watching the world run around without seeing.
I wish I could see more. I'll have to come back.
Tomorrow Dale and I are driving to Cleveland.



















This Water Tower Robot is pointy and old. I like him.

No comments: