Saturday, March 1, 2008

Carnival at The De Young




















So I went to the De Young Museum with Irwin and Marlon yesterday, which was AWESOME.
I happen to enjoy the De Young, despite some funky arranging on the part of the curator. (As Irwin and Carlo and I, and later Irwin and Marlon and I discussed) The transitions between the periods and places is a little awkward in some parts... ok, most parts... It's a little ADD. Kind of like the average American attention span in museums... So I guess in some respects it might hold the interest of Americans a little better, but at the same time the ones that DO have the attention span to enjoy museums might find it slightly choppy.
The artworks they have there are really great though. I have some favorites in their permanent collection.
Also there were not only some great temporary exhibits up, but it was Carnival, and they were having a costume party where they were teaching everyone the basic salsa steps.
Afterward the three of us went to this Indian restaurant over on 9th between Irving and Judah. It was delicious and cheap. A great combination. Then we walked down the block past a more expensive Indian place and over to the bar there for a drink before Mar dropped us off at my place.
That was a fun time. And we made plans to hang out over at Mar's place sometime to play pool.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was really surprised about the variety of stuff they had on exhibit. those African Limbo dancers were something else too. perfect combination of live music and art to look at. you two are welcomed to come visit me out in p hill any day, for some beer and pool!! -mar