Friday, April 11, 2008

Horticulture Therapy

So I've taken several strategies in pulling myself out of the depression I've been in.

One is gardening. I've taken to haunting plant nurseries and our back yard. I've gotten a book on plant propagation and now, as Irwin and my sister would put it, I've turned into a gardening machine. I've got seedlings in our kitchen windows for a bit of the greenhouse effect.
I've started growing peppermint and basil in the back yard. I'll have to find a new home for the sunflowers once they get big.
It's also been nice and sunny, which not only is great for the gardening bit, but helps get me my vitamin D, which San Franciscans can be severely lacking in. It's interesting to note that in San Francisco Seasonal Affected Disorder is one of the most common psychological disorders.

Another thing is I've taken the cookbooks off my shelves. I made a really good dinner night before last, with the help of the wonderful basil ripper, Irwin. And there will be more food to come.

My longtime family friend, Amelia's birthday is coming up on Tuesday, and I intend to make her a cake just as soon as I can get over there to see her, family in tow. Speaking of horticulture therapy, her mother is one of the greenest thumbs I know, so that will be good too.

Oh yeah, and I've taken to eating more of my happy foods. It's odd how much food can effect your mood. When you eat something you're not excited about, it's less fulfilling. Personally, I've been going back to food that makes me smile. Indian Coconut Lamb Curry. Vietnamese Jook. Thai Tofu Satay. And always, Japanese Sushi. And I have all of these in my neighborhood.













Now I need to find a place with a pool. Or go up to Silver Lake. I really want to swim. But there aren't really any good places around since I'm not insane and have no intention of swimming in the Bay or the Ocean. At least not here. The water is toxic, the riptides are strong, and the sharks are plentiful... So if any of my friends are interested in a trip up to the mountains for some lake swimming, I'll help with the gas money.

No comments: